Sunday, 23 July 2017

Do you love yourself?

I know this is a funny question but do you love yourself, we need to start being honest with ourselves, yes you may like yourself, you may even just put up with yourself but do you love yourself really, do you love/like being you.
Mark 12:30-31 (New International Version (NIV)) "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a], The second is this: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”
If you are a Christian you may have read these two verses lots of times, it is about loving God and others but have you ever noticed the "as yourself" bit, we need love others (or your neighbour as the translation says above) as we love ourselves, so if you don't love yourself how can you really love others or be the person God made you, to be.

When we Love God first, all our other relationships work including, the relationship with yourself. God wants us to love others and we need to love ourselves, we are totally unique, God made us that way for a reason, and so are the people around you, we are valued by God and God loves us. God wants you to love being you, God does not want you to try to be anyone else, he wants you to be you, he also wants you to love the people around you and show God's love to them, God has given us gifts and talents and he wants us to use them for his glory and to love others.

Here is where I get Honest, there have been times in my life where I didn't love/like myself, I have Dyspraxia with crossed over Dyslexia, I was was bullied a lot at school and other places after I left school as an Adult, this generated a low self esteem and lack of confidence issues, it also damaged me Emotionally and I thought why are people doing this to me, it must be me and I started to not like/love myself because of it, I started putting up barriers, because I didn't want anyone else to hurt me. But God moved in and started to show me that I am Loved, because God loved me, and other people cared about me, he also showed me I can Love myself, this helped me to love others as Jesus Does, yes I still have problems sometimes, But God is healing me.

The Baggage we carry around, and the barriers we put around ourselves, make it hard for us to love others, yes we need to be careful and not get into situations that hurt us, but God wants us to removed the Baggage and Barriers and give them to him, God wants to heal the pain and the hurt, So we can love others.

We may think we are Messy broken people but God loves us and wants us to reach other messy broken people and show them his love, God wants to take away the mess and wants to mend the brokenness in us and in others. We may hate ourselves because we feel messy and broken, we may be messy for a number of reasons, through sin etc, we may feel broken because people have hurt us in the past but God wants to clean us up and remove our brokenness, God wants to help to love ourselves so we can love others. We may feel stinky and unloved but God Loves us, have you ever watched a mother clean up her messy baby, she does it willingly because she loves her child, God is the same but even more

 I found a cool article by a mother who as she was cleaning up her child, she made the connection that God does the same to us http://foreverymom.com/mom-gold/i-was-chasing-my-toddler-to-change-a-messy-diaper-then-god-dropped-a-bomb-about-my-messy-heart/

 God wants to show you love so we can love ourselves again so that we can love others